Using Polyurethane Glue.
The benefits of using our polyurethane glues
Polyurethane glue…………the excellent choice for many gluing in many construction applications.
As Ireland’s leading producer of polyurethane glue, their application increases regularly.
W.I Polymers polyurethane glues are the choice for bonding medium or large flat sheets of dissimilar materials. These may be seen, for example in the manufacture of decorative panels, where a Formica sheet may be glued to MDF, or a refrigerated
Very useful where bonds between dissimilar materials may need to be sanded!!
What benefits do our polyurethane glues give you?
- They require No mixing the glue is used straight out of the supply container.
- Polyurethane glues will fill small gaps of 1 to 2mm. For larger gaps, the air bubbles in the expanded glue create a weaker bond which will fail, so they are not advised for areas where strong bonds across gaps are required.
- They are waterproof and stand up to outdoor applications.
- Polyurethane glues cure in one to two hours, allowing time to position parts and set clamps.
- They sand easily and it is easy to remove any glue line. Sanding does not gum up sandpaper as with PVA glues.
Our polyurethane glues work best when the glue is applied in very thin layers to one side of the materials being glued. In some applications, the glue may be applied to both sides.
For single side application, apply the glue to the least porous side of the materials being glued. Polyurethane glues cure by reacting with moisture, either from the atmosphere, or in the case of gluing natural wood, from the wood itself.
As polyurethane glue reacts with moisture, and in order to optimise the shelf life of the polyurethane glue, there are several ways to extend the shelf life of the product. We supply polyurethane glue in three pack sizes….1 kg, 22 kg and 1000 kg.
- For supply in a 1 kg bottle, wipe the screw cap of the original supply container. Squeeze all of the air from the bottle and while still squeezing, replace the cap.
- If supplied in a 22 kg container, again wipe the male & female threads with a clean cloth which has been soaked in thinners. Replace the cap securely and invert the container so as to exclude the entry of air.
- The largest supply size is a 1000 kg IBC (intermediate bulk container). As standard, we supply a moisture trap with the first IBC order. The moisture trap is inserted into the smaller cap within the larger cap.
Don’t forget, store all container types in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Most polyurethane glues have a shelf life of approximately 3 years unopened, or 6 months to 1 year after opening and if properly stored.