Gluing PVC Pipes & Fittings
However, even though the process of gluing PVC is very simple, it is unforgiving! The glued parts set very fast and the only way to change it is to cut it off!
For gluing PVC pipes and fittings, we generally use a PVC cement glue. This type of glue works quite simply. By applying the PVC glue to both ends of the PVC parts being we temporarily melt a thin layer of PVC, which will resolidify in seconds, thus gluing the PVC together! What is the best glue to use to glue PVC pipes & fittings……..Weld-On 725 Wet ‘R Dry of course!!
For decades, Weld-On 725 Wet ‘R Dry has been regarded as the premium PVC cement, for both home and professional use, the world over. The process is reasonably simple. Follow this seven step procedure……..
- Measure and cut – To make sure the pipe will be correctly seated within its fitting. Measure the distance between the shoulders on each end of the pipe fitting & transfer this measurement to the pipe. Make a straight cut with a hacksaw. Using a utility knife, remove all burrs and make sure the areas to be glued are clean.
- Dry fit – Assemble all of the pieces to ensure that the pipe has been cut to the correct length. Make a reference mark from the pipe onto a fitting such as an elbow. The position on these fittings is critical.
- Glue – Now apply the Weld-On 725 Wet ‘R Dry PVC glue to the mating areas on the inside of the fitting and to the outside of the pipe. The PVC glue sets very fast, so make sure you are ready to join the PVC before applying the glue.
- Push and twist – Slide the PVC pipe until it hits the fitting’s shoulder. Then give it a ¼-inch turn to spread the glue and speed its cure. If you’re attaching a fitting, push it in with the reference marks slightly out of register, then turn the fitting to align the marks.
- Hold the connection for about 30 seconds in order to avoid push-out.
- Using a cloth, clean off any excess cement.
- Full joint strength should be achieved within four hours (longer at temperatures below 5°).
Once the pieces are put together, the Weld-On 725 Wet ‘R Dry will form a seamless airtight waterproof seal. You must work quickly!
Our laboratories are available for all enquiries involving gluing PVC to itself and to other plastics commonly used in the plumbing sector.